- Invite 10 people over;
- Each person is to bring six quarts of freezer-friendly homemade soup, packed in six one-quart containers;
- Place everyone’s 6 soup containers on the dining room table;
- Once everyone’s there, each person can give a quick description of their soup;
- Draw numbers to determine the order of soup selection;
- Then, one at a time, have each guest choose one quart of soup;
- When you've gone through one round, draw numbers again (so nobody gets last choice each time); keep going for five more rounds, until all the soups are selected;
- Send each person home with six delicious quarts of soup which they store in their freezer and enjoy in the coming month or two.
I would love to host another....once my 6 quarts is gobbled up and my freezer has more room! Soon....
This is Andrew's Mom's soup recipe .
It's hearty and so delicious.
Oh and oh so easy!!!
1 T. butter
¾ - 1 lb. ground beef
3 small or 2 medium sliced yellow onions
1/3 c. barley
1 large can tomatoes
3 carrots, sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
3 potatoes, cut up
1 qt. water
½ t. pepper
1 T. salt
¼ - ½ t. Worcestershire sauce
½ - 1 t. A-1 sauce
Brown meat in butter, crumbling frequently to break up.
Add onions and cook 5 min.
Add barley, tomatoes, water and salt; cover and simmer gently 2 hrs.
Add vegetables, A-1 sauce, Worcestershire sauce and pepper; simmer 1 hr. more.
Enjoy with crusty bread!
Makes approx 3 quarts