Monday, July 29, 2013

alice waters' ratatouille

I adore Alice Waters.
I love ratatouille.
I always wing ratatouille when I make it.
It's always delish but for a change
I tried Alice Waters' recipe
from her
cookbook.
I hit the jackpot when my friend Leslie
kindly gave me her CSA from
last week.
In the box:
little eggplants
zucchini
patapan squash
red onions
scallions
cucumbers
corn
basil
sage
escarole
I quickly thought ratatouille.
From our own garden I used:
basil 
tomatoes
The only thing that was from Trader Joes:
sweet peppers
Oh and fresh garlic that Everett harvested at Ambler Farm camp.
 sauteed eggplant and the other Stone Barns goodness

 our own garden toms

 The golden ticket here was the brilliant
basil bouquet tied with kitchen string.
In the end you remove the bouquet and squeeze 
the basil juices back in pot. 
Loads of basil flavor sans the soggy leaves.

 raw

done + still colorful

couldn't wait to put ratatouille
on ciabatta bread with pesto 
+
a slice of fresh mozzarella

This time for Sunday lunch on ciabatta with
peppered goat cheese 
+
sliced grilled sweet italian sausage.
 Tastes even better a day or two later.
Love A.W's ratatouille.
Blows mine away!



No comments: